Saturday, October 19, 2024

Science 2: Week #3

 What did I do in lab this week? 

The main question varied depending on the group. Each group was assigned a specific topic to learn about and teach us about. My group focused on the life cycle of stars. We researched how stars are born, the stages they go through, and some interesting facts about different types of stars. We then presented our findings.

What did I learn in Thursday's lecture? 

We reviewed the topics that were presented by classmates on Monday, which helped clarify what material we should focus on for the upcoming test. We discussed the Big Bang theory and some of the myths Hollywood has perpetuated. Some key points from the lecture include:

The Earth did not originate from the Big Bang.

Stars emit light through nuclear fusion.

Everything in existence comes from stars that have exploded 

There are more stars in each galaxy than grains of sand on Earth.

Textbook

I learned that Edwin Hubble discovered that the universe is still expanding today. If it is constantly expanding and growing now, that means it was smaller before–and likely the size of an unimaginably small particle at the beginning. I also learned the Moon was formed when a Mars-sized object named Theia collided with the Earth. Early in its creation, Earth was molten. When it collided with Theia, chunks of Earth’s crust were ejected into space. Gravity bounded these pieces together and the Moon was formed, eventually cooling and hardening into its current rocky state. 

Questions?

I’m mainly worried about the exam, especially when it comes to understanding the phases of the moon and how they affect Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Science 2: Week 9

What did we do in the lab? We watched a video about ice core drilling and how scientists have been learning about carbon levels in the atmos...