Saturday, November 9, 2024

Science 2: Week #6

 What did I learn in lab?

This week in the lab, we began learning about chemistry and matter, along with how they go together. We did not get many answers this class as to why things happen, but we had lots of engagement in answering questions and working hands-on. We worked in groups to rate through stations where we made predictions and tried to make sense of these science experiments.

What did I learn in lecture?

I learned that Iowa has a state rock, the geode, which has a crystal-like interior when cut open. We also experimented with different types of soda in water to understand water displacement. Initially, I assumed all soda cans would sink in water due to their weight. However, in lecture, we learned that the amount of sugar in the soda affects whether it sinks or floats. For example, root beer sank in the water, but diet cola floated. I also learned that water displacement is a method used to measure the volume of an object based on how much water is displaced when the object is submerged. The amount of water that rises or spills out shows the volume of the object. Additionally, I found out from a story we read that jewelry isn’t made from 100% gold because it would fall apart; it needs silver for stability.


Textbook:


Questions?

I don't have any questions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Science 2: Week 9

What did we do in the lab? We watched a video about ice core drilling and how scientists have been learning about carbon levels in the atmos...