Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Blog Week 6

 This week in lab, we first checked on our fast plants. Ours has grown a lot since last week, but our plant was not ready for pollination. Then, we discussed organisms and their environment, specifically sea turtles. We listened to a book about turtles and then played a game using a fortune teller. We also did two worksheets after this game about the information on the fortune tellers. We learned about all parts of a plant, including male and female parts:

Female Parts: Pistil, which includes the stigma, style, and ovary. Stigma: The part of the pistil where pollen germinates. Ovary: The enlarged basal portion of the pistil where ovules are produced

Male Parts: Stamen, which contains the anther and filament.

Anther: The part of the stamen where pollen is produced. Another holds the pollen (sperm) of the plant.

Filament: The filament supports the anther


Petal: The parts of a flower that are often conspicuously colored

Sepal: The outer parts of the flower (often green and leaf-like)


I didn't have any questions about this material! I remember learning parts of plants when I was in elementary school!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alivia! I really like how you put the definitions of the plant parts in your blog! That could be useful for you when you start teaching in the future. I thought that the fortune teller game was a great idea that can be used in our future classrooms. It doesn't even have to be used for science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alivia! I like that you included definitions of the flower parts. This is important information to understand when learning about pollination, especially for elementary students. I also enjoyed the sea turtle lesson and the activities that went along with it. I could definitely see myself using this book, activity, and discussion in the future. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alivia, your plant is looking great! Thank you for including the parts of the flowers! I loved how you added that!

    ReplyDelete

Science 2: Week 9

What did we do in the lab? We watched a video about ice core drilling and how scientists have been learning about carbon levels in the atmos...