Thursday, February 8, 2024

Blog Week 4

This week in lab, we learned about the 5E Model of Science Instruction. This instruction was developed in the 1980s by Bybee at BSCS. It is a series of instructional steps designed to learn science concepts with understanding. Consists of 5 teaching phases, each titled by a word that begins with the letter "E." This instruction is a widely accepted instructional model for inquiry-based instruction when conceptual understanding is the goal. Aligns well with the aims and goals of the NGSS. 

1. Engage: student interest and build on prior knowledge to create connections
2. Explore: an opportunity for students to explore
3. Explain: teach new concepts, define vocab and key concepts
4. Extend (Elaborate): on more activities, application of new concepts
5. Evaluate: formative assessment, summative assessment: grades (scores)

We also checked on our Fast Plant Cycle Plants, and my partner and I had no growth in our plant, so we had to add more water in hopes that there would be growth next week. I wonder why our plant didn't grow because we thought we followed all the right directions? I remember growing these plants in elementary school.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alivia! I also found the 5E model to be very interesting. I feel like each E in this model is needed and useful when teaching scientific concepts, especially to elementary students. I think that this model will be helpful when I have my own classroom. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alivia! Your blog looks awesome I love the design of it! I like the way you described the 5E model and its history. I hope your fast plant grows a bit more next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alivia, great job explaining the 5E model! Hopefully your plant grows more next week!

    ReplyDelete

Science 2: Week 9

What did we do in the lab? We watched a video about ice core drilling and how scientists have been learning about carbon levels in the atmos...